Saturday, December 8, 2012

ass u me

"Do you know what happens when you assume?"  he asked not expecting an answer.
I hesitated, "I'm not sure."

"You make an 'ass' of 'u' and 'me'."

Not only a lesson in spelling but a lesson of life was handed to me on that day back in my military career.  I don't remember any of the details of what I had assumed.  Probably some task that I screwed up.  

People will assume.  If you are not assuming at least a little you are probably not even thinking.  The trouble is not the assuming exercise but rather forgetting it is an assumption and not fact.

Back then most all interaction with each other took place in real life.  Even a phone call could provide voice cues with regards to urgency, emotions.  In the virtual world of twitter, blogs, FB, G+, chat, etc. we interact with plain raw text.

Assuming has become more dangerous. 
blog comments powered by Disqus